Monday, April 26, 2010

In the beginning

I once read a story about a young boy who was outside playing with a baseball and a bat.  The boy exclaimed "I'm the greatest hitter in the world!", then threw the ball into the air, swung with all his might and totally whiffed.  "Strike one." he muttered.

Undaunted he retrieved the ball, once again proclaimed "I'm the greatest hitter in all the world!", tossed the ball into the air and swung for the fences! And once again his bat found nothing but air.  "Strike two."

A bit frustrated, but persevering he grabbed the elusive baseball and steadied himself for a third try.  "I'm the greatest hitter in the world!" he said as he again tossed the ball into the air. For a third straight time his swing missed the ball completely. 

Standing there looking down at the untarnished baseball his frustrated little face suddenly turned to a smile...   He raised his hands to the sky and boldly proclaimed "I'm the greatest pitcher in the world!"

I love that story.  Something about me connects with the theme of undying optimism and the dare to dream big.

If you're anything like me you've found that life isn't all success, happiness, sunshine and lollipops.  In fact most of the sunshine I've found is the result of doing my best to ride out a storm or two.   Usually my hardest storms are self imposed as my own selfishness and lack of wisdom teach me the hard lessons my thick skull didn't want to learn the easy way.

And yet in spite of my painfully obvious limitations and thickheadedness God has found a way to encourage, challenge and call me to never settle for less than His best for my life.  He has blessed me with a precious family, a beautiful wife and soon to be four perfect little boys.   Far more than I deserve.

I think that's why I want to blog.  Because for me (and maybe for you) life isn't lived in the great moments of success or in the frustrating moments of failure, but rather in the journey and the lessons that are found in between.  Maybe life is less about what we accomplish and more about who we impact on the journey.  Maybe it's about the ability to dream big, whif big, learn and move on.  

So I guess more than just a source of wisdom or a tool to teach, I hope this is going to be a sort of streaming real time update of what I'm learning.  Hopefully you'll be able to pick up something along the way. 


God bless!

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the blogosphere, Jason! I can't wait to see more here! :)

    ReplyDelete